Tuesday 27 September 2011

Differences between Like and As


 Like:
We use it when the second term of the comparison is a noun, a gerund or a pronoun.
 Dave looks like his father.  -  Don't act like me!
 To learn English is like having your own private tutor.

 Like can be modified with adverbs, such as:
 Just, more, very much, not at all...:
Just like you, Jane wanted to be a doctor.
AS:
We use it when the second term of the comparison is a verb, a clause or a preposition.
 Don't do as I do!
 It started raining, as I said it would.
Prices are very high, as in the 1990s. (as they were)
 As can be used before a noun:
She works as a nurse.
Be careful:
 She speaks like a teacher ...she is not a teacher.
 She speaks as a teacher ...she is a teacher.
In addition:
We can use like (or such as) when giving examples:
 He prefers classical composers, like Chopin.
She prefers French actors, such as Delon.
Some other constructions:
 We use
like + noun or pronoun
as if/ as though + clauses
with some verbs: feel, look, sound, smell, seem, treat
It looks like rain / it feels like rain.
It looks as if it's going to rain.
It feels as if it were going to rain.
It looks as though it were going to rain.
It feels as though it were going to rain.
Attention:
In spoken English we can have the structure like + clause with the verbs feel, look etc....
It looks like it's going to rain.
TEST
1.     After university I had a job __________a waiter for 2 months.
2.     She is a real pain! I can't imagine her __________a nurse.
3.     He behaved _____________a fool and we got lost in the forest.
4.     I woke up early, ____________I knew I would.
5.     Why do you talk to me ___________I were a child?
6.     There was heavy snow ___________in the previous year according to my friends.
7.     She is eighty but she behaves ______________she were much younger than she is.
8.     What are you cooking? It smells ____________Indian food.
9.     You look terrible! You look ____________you have seen a ghost.
10.  He lost his keys yesterday but ____________I expected he found them one hour later.
Answers:-
1. As
2. As
3. Like
4. As
5. As if
6. As
7. As if
8. Like
9. As if
10. As

No comments:

Post a Comment